Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Poetry is good

Well I am back in harness at university. My second semester is going to be much more demanding than first semester where I managed to bludge a bit. This semester I really have to work - which is fine by me as that is what I'm there for in the first place.

I was originally scheduled to do an advanced editing class this semester. However on reflection, I wasn't there to learn to become an editor. My purpose in commencing the study was to become a better writer. To that end I decided to take myself right out of my comfort zone and study poetry instead.

This was not a decision taken lightly. I'm so far out of my comfort zone that the comfy place isn't even close to being in sight. My concern increased when I realised that we were to study James Joyce's last book, Finnegan's Wake. I am yet to establish the relevance of this seemingly incomprehensible piece of prose to a poetry class. Concerns were increased even further during the first lecture when the lecturer not only admitted his belief that Finnegan's Wake is an extremely difficult piece, he even admitted that he himself has never finished reading it.

To help quell my fears, I have adopted a new affirmation mantra.

Poetry is good.

Poetry is good.

Poetry is good.

In time I should come to believe it.

I am also writing a 10-15,000 word novella as an independent project and have just learned that my supervisor is a tutor from last semester that I got on well with, so all augers positively on that front.

No comments: